Monday, February 18, 2008

the kids

I went to the St. Laurence Safe-haven for crisis kids this past week, and loved it. The home is run by a women, and her immediate family, and there are currently 22 children in the home. (they are only supposed to have 18) The kids are supposed to stay a maximum of 6 weeks, and yet many of them have been there 2 years. This pic is of Luke and Eden. Their father murdered their mother, and Luke suffers from depression, and is very manipulative. Eden is a quiet girl, but full of joy!



This is Rudy (and his adorable BIG smile) and his brother Reegan. Just last week, their father tried to murder them. By God's grace, their tiny lives were spared. The kids love rubbing cream on you, which is what Reegan is doing to me. They seem to be adjusting well, and are very happy boys!

Yesterday, I was able to go with Ella to the inner-city Sunday school program her church is involved with. There were about 75 kids ranging from 2-15, and several had major behavioral issues. There were only 8 helpers for all these kids. It is located next to a squatter camp, where all of these children live. (4x4 shacks) Ella teaches the pre-schoolers, and so I helped her with them. She has a translator, as almost all of the kids speak Swana. We played a game with them, did a story, made valentine's, and then had snack. These kids were back in line as soon as they were done, as their little bellies were starving. The leader was able to bring some bread-rolls, so we put those into bags, and delivered them as kids pushed and shoved to make sure they would get some. It was very heart-breaking, but I am so glad that this ministry is happening, as many children are hearing and learning about Jesus for the first time. I will be involved with this every Sunday, and I am so glad because I loved it there. (the kids loved having their pictures taken!)
Be thankful today for the blessings He has given you!
Jess

7 comments:

Christina Johnson said...

Wow Jess! Those kids are adorable. Being in an underdeveloped country sure does open your eyes, huh? That's what we feel being here in the Philippines. I love that you are blogging your experience! Keep it up. Aren't blogs great?! What a great way to share your experience with others! Hope you are well. keep blogging...

nikki said...

Oh, seeing these pics at the end of a long stressful day of work is exactly what I needed and love. I love seeing the land, the people, and the animals of South Africa....!

Praying for you! And I'll get an email out to you soon too....

Debbie Bruno said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
J&B said...

Hi Sis,
Love and Prayers to you. We love all the pics and updates. The kids miss you so much and think you should be back already. I just signed up for facebook, but can't find you anymore. I don't know anything about computers. Just when I think I'm getting it, everything I had goes missing. Anyway, Have a Great day! Brandy & Fam

Jess said...

Christina,
I love looking at all your pics and updates on your blog.It is great! I'm praying for you guys! What are your plans when the school year is done? Are you going back to New Orleans? Love and miss you both so much!!

D- glad I could brighten your day! Miss you more than you know!

Mrs.Bruno,
It tastes maybe a tad sweeter, but not much.It was delicious!

Brandy,
Give the kids some lovin'from me. I miss their hugs and smiles so much! I wish I could come through the computer and play with them all....it will be soon. The time is going so fast!

I'll try looking for you on FB when I get a chance! Love and miss ya!!

~Alayna~ said...

So this is a random question...but do you have work plans when you get back? I am in the process for applying for a full-time job at Wheaton College, and if I get it, I will need to find a replacement for my nanny job. Although my nanny job is only 15 hours a week, it pays well and is very easy and flexible. You were the first person I thought of as a possible replacement, should you be looking for work. If you get a chance, let me know what you think!

Donna said...

Hi Jess,
Looks like you're having a great time and meeting some serious needs. Thanks for sharing the photos. Praying for you...
Donna and family