Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Campin' in Muskegon

(I apologize for the random photo spread...it wasn't being very friendly!)

This past weekend, I was able to go camping with my family and my friend Melody, who was in Columbia teaching the last 5 months. It was fun to be on Lake Michigan and camp. We left Saturday, and arrived at Hoffmaster State Park, setting up the tents, and then heading over to Maranatha Missionary and Conference Center. Can I just tell you how much I love that place?? I'd love to work there sometime with the kiddos. Anywho...we were going to see Nicol Sponberg in concert. I LOVE Nicol! I call her a friend, and am humbled and blessed whenever I see and hear her. And this time, as "Esengo" started playing, she said, "Jess, you just got back from Africa. You need to be up here too!" So fun...so up I went, joining the little ones she called up to help her. It was a joy! God is doing amazing things through her and her husband Greg. They lost their little guy Luke, at 10 weeks, from sids, and they are grieving with hope. Since losing my friend Donna, I have longed for heaven even more, and Nicol was saying how she can't wait to get there to see her little guy again. If you've never heard of Nicol, I highly recommend you check out her music. She is truly gifted, a woman who loves the Lord and uses her gifts to serve Him.



Early Sunday morning, the rain came down in buckets, and the lightning was going crazy. So, my dad woke us up at 7:30 and told us to get in the van. We went for a morning stroll, got back to camp, and got ready for church. We went to Maranatha to hear Dr. Koessler preach. He is a professor at Moody and head of the Pastoral Studies Dept. After church, we went to Walmart and Goodwill, and stopped for lunch. The sun came out late in the afternoon, and we went to the beach to journal and spend time with God.






Sunday evening Sunset on Lake Michigan=wonderful.



ok....we went to the nature center and I fell in love with this sign. Can you read it? I wanted to go out and catch toads to see what I would win!! :) lol. I do love frogs/toads, and this was pretty appealing. But, we decided to go hiking instead to the top of the dunes. Next time....




This web was spotted by my mom, and I LOVED it. You can see the little spider in the middle. I love webs, and this is one of the best I've seen.


Breakfast Monday morning. Pancakes....yummah!

Beach all day Monday...I warned Melody to use sunscreen and to cover up. Did she listen? Well, I'll let you be the judge.




















Dinner time....homemade pizza's on the fire in the pie irons. This has got to be my favorite camping food of all time! We had it 2 evenings, because you can't get enough. And really, I usually only go camping once a year, so I gotta enjoy it while I can!

We went to downtown Grand Haven Monday night to take in the sunset, and watch the musical fountain. We had a great time...it was a bit windy, but so enjoyable and relaxing.















We packed everything up Tuesday morning, and stopped at the beach one more time on the way out. We also played some miniature golf! I'm thankful I had this weekend to share with my parents and friend Melody. It has been a long time since we've spent time together, and I was grateful for it.



























5 comments:

Mary said...

YAY! Love catching up with you! Enjoyed seeing the pics and how much fun you had!

Jess said...

thanks Mary!

Ella said...

fun and the sun. today picking up those foam bits. I told my self- self- you must show the kids diligence. But i rather be camping with you.

Jess said...

Did you take pics? I'm sure Nals and McK had a blast! :)

I wish you were here to camp too. We'll definitely have to plan something for when you get back here.

J&B said...

Wow! Summer is so big! I Love the pic of you and your Mom and Dad!