Friday, January 27, 2012

Becky

Yesterday I spent time with a friend that I haven't seen in close to 3 years. I kept telling myself that I needed to call her the last 18 months, and it never happened. Over the Christmas break, I went home and found her cd. I quickly added it to my i-pod. I always enjoyed hearing her sing in church....and when I heard her voice, I knew it was time to call. We spent 7 hours together on Thursday, and when it came time for me to leave, Becky was like, "Are you sure you have to go?" Since her parents died, they made that wing of the house into a missionary house, and that is where we met. She calls it her sanctuary, and it was sacred ground-so calm, serene, and peaceful. We talked, and talked, ate lunch, talked some more, went thrifting, and talked. And talked. And our conversation was always drawn back to the Lord. It was exciting to see the way God was working in their hearts to move them to a place 7 hours from where they live now-a place where the majority is on welfare and crystal meth is rampant. They desire to do in-home bible studies in an area most of us would shy away from. And I LOVE that about them. I had goose bumps as I listened to her speak of the way God was working everything together. We also talked about mentoring and discipleship, which she has a passion for as well. (and I know she is incredible at it!) Becky also opened her journal, and showed me how she has a verse on every page--she asks God daily to show her a verse, which she writes on a 3x5 card and places in her journal. How cool is that? What a gift Thursday was to me. I wish I could explain how beautiful it was-it felt like a divine appointment that God gave me-He used her to encourage me in a way I needed to be encouraged. I'm so thankful for you Becky, and for the blessing you are. You are so special to me, and I won't soon forget our time together! Can't wait for next time!

2 comments:

Ella said...

Yeah Jess, I am so glad you got to reconnect.

Jana said...

Oh Jess, I'm so glad that you were able to spend such an enriching day with your friend.